Need after-hours care when your campus doctor is unavailable?
If you’re visiting Adelaide or Tasmania as an international student, it can be useful to know about the healthcare services available after-hours, when regular GPs and on-campus clinics are closed.
In most cases, the cost associated with doctor can be claimed from your insurer. Here’s how the service works:
- Call 1800 22 55 84
- An after hours Doctor will be dispatched to your college or on-campus accommodation
- Take the medication that your home doctor prescribes, or follow the treatment plan recommended
- Detailed notes from your after-hours consultation will be sent to your regular GP, or on-campus healthcare provider
- Get better and keep on studying
When should I contact an after-hours GP?
We treat urgent medical conditions that arise outside of clinic hours. Examples of acute symptoms that need medical attention may include serious cold and flu symptoms, fever and gastro, asthma and allergies, headaches and earaches, rashes and infections, or minor traumas like sprains and lacerations. In an Emergency, always phone Triple 0 (000) and ask for an Ambulance.
Can I request a home doctor if I live on campus?
Call The Doctor provides extra on campus support. If you live on campus in student accommodation, you can ask your administration to contact us on 18000 22 55 84 on your behalf.
Will I have to pay?
If you have
- NIB overseas student health cover (OSCH), there’s no out-of-pocket expense. NIB offers a direct billing service, which means Call The Doctor processes the claim on your behalf, so you don’t have to worry about paperwork and can focus on recovering.
- If you have OSHC cover from another insurance provider AHM, BUPA – you will initially have to pay an after-hours consulting fee. Many OSHC providers will allow you to claim a percentage of this fee back, however the out-of-pocket cost varies between insurers.
- Allianz overseas student health cover (OSHC) there’s no out-of-pocket expense. Allianz offers a direct billing service which means Call The Doctor processes the claim on your behalf, so you don’t have to worry about paperwork and can focus on recovering.
If you do not have OSHC you will have to pay the full after-hours consulting fee.
Can I request a doctor that is the same gender as myself?
Yes, if you’d like to request a doctor that is the same gender as yourself for cultural or religious reasons, please ask during the initial phone call